Tuscany, Italy Oct 2010
Tuscany, Italy October, 2010 by Brenda Bader
Again I was able to have a absolutely wonderful trip to Italy. However, this time I spent my time in Tuscany and a couple of days in Umbria. As always, it didn’t disappoint me.
After arriving in Rome we secured a car and drove to Pitigiano in the Maremma area of Tuscany. It was worth the drive. The view of the city was spectacular. We were fortunate to be there during a local celebration. From here we headed to our stop for the next two nights, the Il Molino Di Ciapo in Montccantini Termi, about ½ hour west of Florence. Our host was Chef Giuseppe Mazzocchi who I have sent a few of my clients to. He was very gracious and we were able to stay at his family’s estate which was originally a water mill in the 13th century and in his family for over 200 years. He has a small kitchen which serves delicious foods that he or his staff prepares and he offers cooking classes here.
www.ilmolinodiciapo.com
www.thetuscanchef.com
I was able to sit in on one of his classes and wish I had more time there. The setting is beautiful and peaceful. There are 2 rooms for let and 2- 2-bedroom apartments on site. If he has higher end clients he puts them in a villa in town and he will collect and return them to their accommodations when done. He has many repeat clients.
After two beautiful days in this area we drove to Lucca. Lucca is located in the western region of Tuscany is the town is flat vs the Hill Towns of Tuscany. It has all it’s original walls that surround the city and was worth the trip. We stayed at a B&B ½ kilometer from the main gate. It was clean and the host very friendly. There really wasn’t anything bad about it, but I’m not into cutesy and they had fairy’s and gnomes painted all over the walls. If you want some place that was not expensive and close to the walled city, this will work….and of course, you have to like the little creatures that stare down at you at night.
www.lacortedeifolletti.com
From here we went to my favorite town in Tuscany, San Gimignano. I swear that when night comes the bricks glow. It’s just beautiful. We stayed at the La Cisterna Hotel right in the heart of the town. They have 2 room types, I would suggest paying the higher price for the better room. These rooms have breathtaking views from the windows. The lower priced rooms could be noisy because some are located next to or over/under the kitchen. The food at this hotel is amazing.
www.lacisternahotl.com
From San Gimignano we drove to the very heart of the Chianti region, Radda in Chianti. We spent 3 days here and spent the days going to different vineyards. It’s the most perfect location if you have people who want to do this. We stayed at the Palazzo Leopoldo right in the center of the town. The owner and staff were very friendly and accommodating. There are many different sized rooms located on 3 floors. I would not suggest any rooms on the 3rd floor because they are actually in a converted attic with 20 stairs that go straight up from the 2nd floor (no elevator to the 3rd floor). My room was up here and it was quite the journey at night. The room was extremely large and comfortable, but the stairs could be a draw back for many. Also on the 3rd floor they have a 1 bedroom apartment that can be rented with a large sitting room, large bedroom, kitchen and bath. The rooms on the other floors vary in size and I only saw two of them. They were very nice, but some do not have windows because of their location in the building.
We ate at the restaurant here and it was wonderful. They have a beautiful terrace that overlooks the country side and you can take your own wine bottle and glasses out and sit there and watch the sunset. Beautiful.
www.palazzoleopoldo.com
There is also another recommendation, the Palazzo San Niccolo located just down the street.
www.palazzosanniccolo.com
Both are worth the stay. This was sold out when I tried to make reservations but they let me check out the lobby. I actually liked the Leopoldo better which is less formal.
From here we left Tuscany and went to Umbria. My first stay in Umbria. There is a remarkable difference between the two regions,Tuscany with hills and Umbria with more of a rolling hillside.
We stayed at the Relais II Cnalicchio about ½ hour south of Perugia. This was once a small castle and was converted into a hotel in 1997. It Is very quaint and the staff will do everything to please you. There are many room types to choose from, all different sizes with different types of views. My room had a spectacular view of the valley below.
www.relaisilcanalicchio.com
From here it was about an 1 ½ drive back to the airport in Rome.
I’m already dreaming about my return to Italy.
I was able to book all of these accommodations through Travel Bound.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home