Wednesday, August 05, 2009

New Orleans Aug 2009

Joyce-New Orleans Aug 09
Yes, I went back again. I love this city. I did some new tourist things on this trip. I stayed three nights at the Crown Plaza Astor on Canal Street. The hotel is very nice and
has one of New Orleans better restaurants in the hotel. There is a complimentary business center on the first floor. They offer late check outs for Priority Club members.
The only disadvantage is the location. I like to stay more in the French Quarter than on the edge. This would be great for business travelers however. I did a Swamp Tour which
took up a large portion of one day as Honey Island Swamp is located 45 minutes from New Orleans. The guides were great, very funny and informative. I found out alligators like marshmallows!
I also went to the new Blaine Kern’s Mardi Gras World which has moved from across the river to a location by the convention center. It is a much larger and nicer facility. This is the company that makes most of the floats for Mardi Gras as well as many Disney props for several Disney locations. It is amazing to see how large everything is and the production side. It literally takes a year to get ready for the next Mardi Gras as there are now over 50 parades each years. I also did the Natchez River Cruise. Lunch was included; although if anyone wants a place to save some money, it would be wise to just do the cruise and get a better tasting meal in many of the great restaurants in the Quarter instead of eating “batch” food on the ship. The history of the Mississippi River and the sites and industry along the river are very interesting. My final evening was spent on a Ghost Tour. I was not impressed with this group leader/company. I have done a better tour in the past. Unfortunately there really is no way ahead of time to know how your guide is going to be. He was more a story teller than my last guide a couple years ago who was a detective for the paranormal. Restaurants are everywhere, one of my favorites being the Gumbo Shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home